Adding TummyRite™ Avian Supplements to dry and soaked-seed makes a complete bird food. The TummyRite™ Avian Supplements contain over fifty individual components and have several benefits, both short and long term benefits. Short term benefits include the provision of crucial vitamins and minerals, amino acids and enzymes not present in dry or soaked seed and which are needed by the bird for their health and well-being. These TummyRite™ Avian Supplements balance the nutrients not present in the dry or soaked-seed, improving their utilisation. Long term benefits are they help the bird to cope with disease challenges by strengthening their natural immunity. Feed every day for the best results. For more details, see https://tummyrite.com.au/blogs/technical/understanding-the-role-and-functioning-of-tummyrite. For product purchases, see https://tummyrite.com.au/collections.
Several people have asked me how I add my TummyRite Avian Supplements to dry seed and to soaked-seed. The process is straightforward.
One of the best ways I find is to use a kitchen planetary-type mixer. These can take up to a kilogram of seed comfortably without spreading seed everywhere. The planetary mixer usually has a removable bowl where you can weigh seed directly on the weight scale. Also, you will need the following equipment.
- A weigh scale that can weigh up to about 2kg weight in one-gram intervals.
- A graduated syringe capable of measuring 25ml of oil. (I recommend Sunflower Oil or Hemp Seed Oil).
- A measuring cup capable of weighing 75g of TummyRite™ or TummyRite™ Plus Avian Supplements.
- A hand brush.
- A sizeable 20-litre bucket to hold the treated seed.
- Turn on the weight scale and add the mixing bowl to the weight scale. Tare the scale to zero.
- Weight 1 kg of seed dry or soaked seed into the bowl.
- If you are using TummyRite™ Standard Product, you will be adding 20g of TummyRite™ to the seed.
- If you are using TummyRite™ Plus Product, you will be adding 50g of TummyRite™ Plus to the seed.
- Weigh out the appropriate weight of TummyRite Product into the measuring cup.
- Adding oil to dry seed is required so that the TummyRite™ Product sticks to the outside of the seed. If using dry seed, you will need to add oil to the grain in the following way. If you are using soaked seed, you will not need to add oil.
- Take the syringe and draw into it 10 ml or 15 ml of oil for TummyRite Standard or TummyRite Plus respectively.
- Add the bowl to the mixer and turn on the mixer.
- Squirt the oil onto the grain while it is mixing. Do this for about one minute until you see the oil coats the seed evenly.
- While the mixer is still on, add the TummyRite Product to the seed and mix for a further 2 minutes.
- Use the hand brush to clear any residual product on the mixer paddle into the mixer bowl. (For safety reasons do not use your fingers to remove any remaining product while the mixer is in operation).
If done correctly, you will not see the TummyRite product on the seed, but you can feel it.
Note: People have asked me if the oil will go rancid on the seed if kept too long. The short answer to this is, No. I have been using this with my birds (I have canaries, budgerigars and finches) for several years and have not seen any adverse effects. If you go to the local supermarket, you will notice the vegetable oil is not refrigerated and can sit on the shelves for a long time. However, I would recommend your feeders and seed are not in direct sunlight. Keep the treated seek in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight, vermin, and insects.
I hope this helps.
Do you want to know more about the benefits of TummyRite™ and TummyRite™ Plus? Look at the Technical Section of our TummyRite™ Web Site for our six-part series of articles on TummyRite™.https://tummyrite.com.au/blogs/technical